Sunday 10 February 2013

To Spin a Yarn...

I've been debating about this post for over a week now.  I was all set to post something more on spinning and yarn and sheep... but then my favorite blogger Amanda Blake Soule posted something SO similar I just couldn't bare to mirror her... even though I totally am, but not by design.  We just happen to be very interested in the same things.  Probably why I enjoy her blog so much.  Hmmmm.


I may have mentioned, I bought an entire unwashed fleece from Margaret at Ranfurly Farms last March.  I washed it, carded it, and now, spun it...

plyed it (with itself)




And ...

Ta-Dah!  My first "real" skein!


 I have a few before this one, but THIS one really felt like I knew what I was doing, though I'm still not totally consistent with the gauge. Yet.

I have rented a spinning wheel for the month of February, as one whole fleece actually gets one a whole lot of wool.  I'd like to try dying some of it, but I'll hopefully spin it all first.  I haven't knitted anything with it yet, as my priority right now is getting something done for my little man whose birthday is fast approaching.  And, with a deadline of the end of February, I want to get as much spun as possible.  I figure that after I return the wheel, I'll have plenty of time while waiting for lambs to arrive to knit.  And ya, I'll probably copy Mrs Soule again and knit some fingerless gloves with the first skein... very practical for spring time and lambing time on the farm.

Wait. Did I say Lambing Time???

Yes.  Yes I did :)

2 comments:

  1. Are there lambs on the way? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Looks like all 4 are preggers! You GOTTA visit during Spring Break :)

    ReplyDelete